Study Permit

Do I need a Study Permit?

Anyone planning to study in Canada for more than six months needs a Study Permit. If you plan to study for less than six months but may decide to stay longer, you should apply for a Study Permit before coming to Canada for your studies. International students from certain countries may also need to obtain a temporary resident visa in addition to the study permit.

How do I obtain a Study Permit for Canada?

International Students must apply for a Study Permit once they have received an acceptance letter from a qualified Canadian academic institution. Students also need to show that they have sufficient funds to study and live in Canada, and in some cases are required to undergo Medical Examinations and provide Police Clearance Certificates.

When should I apply for my study permit?

You should apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance from the educational institution (school, college, university).

What if I want to study in Quebec?

International Students who have been accepted into a qualifying educational institution in Quebec must obtain approval from the immigration authorities of the Province of Quebec. To study in Quebec, you will need to first apply for a CAQ (Certificat d’acceptation du Québec) before you apply for a study permit.

Do I have to pay a fee for a study permit?

Yes, you must pay a processing fee with your application.

Note: The fee will not be refunded, even if your application is refused.

How long is my Study Permit valid for?

A Study Permit is valid for the duration of your study program.

If you wish to extend the validity of your Study Permit, you must file an Application to Change the Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada.

Will my study permit need to be renewed?

Expiry dates of study permits can vary. Often permits are valid for the duration of the program of study. To successfully renew a study permit, the student must have a valid passport and, if applicable, a valid CAQ (a Certificate of Acceptance required to study in Quebec). Students should start the renewal process at least two to three months prior to the expiry date.

Can my spouse work in Canada while I study?

Yes, your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a Work Permit if you are a full-time student at an authorized institution with a valid study permit.

Can I work in Canada after finishing my studies there?

Yes, the Post-Graduation Work Program allows most international students to gain Canadian work experience upon graduation of a program which is at least eight months in duration. Please note that you will need a Work Permit to work in Canada after finishing your program of study. This Post-Graduation Work Program is a very good option for people who have studied in Canada because it may lead to being eligible for Canadian Permanent Residency under the Canadian Experience Class or Quebec Experience Class categories of immigration.

Questions are the root of all answers.