On November 18, the provincial government of Newfoundland and Labrador made an announcement. It was about launching a new immigration pathway for newcomers. The pathway will aim at retaining newcomers who are already in the province.
The new immigration pathway is under Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program (NLPNP). The name of the new pathway is Priority Skills Newfoundland and Labrador. It will focus on highly skilled and educated people.
These people need to have proper work experience in various specialized industries, like technology. As per expectation, the launch date for the program will be January 2, 2021.
The introduction of this new immigration pathway will deal with the labor shortages in the province in some high-growth sectors. The demand made by employers for experienced and skilled workers is on the rise in Newfoundland and Labrador. This new pathway will deal with such demands.
Who All Are Eligible For the Priority Skills Pathway?
People with Masters or Ph.D. degree from Memorial University will be eligible for the new immigration pathway. It is important for them to have graduated within the last three years, and they should hold a degree in various fields, such as information and communication technology, healthcare, ocean technology, aquaculture, and agriculture.
Professionals with relevant work experience in the following occupations will also be considered. These occupations fall under the category of highly skilled high-demand occupations.
- Software Developer
- UI/UX Developer
- AI Developer
- Biomedical Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- .NET Developer
- Security Specialist
- Python Developer
- Infrastructure Engineer
- Cloud Specialist
- Computer Network Support
It is also mandatory for people to demonstrate their language proficiency in English. They need to take one of the following language tests and score equivalent to the Canadian Language Benchmark level of 5 or above.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
Other Options to Immigrate To Newfoundland and Labrador
The division of NLPNP is into five different categories:
- Express Entry Skilled Worker Category: It lets the province nominate skilled workers through the country’s federal EE system. All those who receive nominations should have proper job offers in the province.
- Skilled Worker Category: This category targets individual who have a job offer from an employer in Newfoundland and Labrador. It also targets all those who are already working in the province with a valid work permit.
- International Graduate Category: This category is meant for recent graduates who hold a Post-Graduate Work Permit. It is mandatory for them to either have a job or a job offer in the province.
- International Entrepreneur Category: This category is meant for individuals who want to settle in Newfoundland and Labrador or buy a business in the province. Applicants will have to run their business for a year in the province before applying.
- International Graduate Entrepreneur Category: This category provides a pathway to permanent residence for foreign graduates. It is meant for those who want to run or start a business in the province.
Apart from the five categories, those who wish to reside in the province may also apply through the Atlantic Immigration Pilot. Candidates need to have a job offer in the province in order to qualify.
Newfoundland and Labrador: About the Province
Newfoundland and Labrador happen to be the easternmost province of Canada. It has two separate landmasses. Newfoundland is an island and Labrador is connected to mainland Canada.
The energy and resources of the province help its economy to grow steadily. Some primary industries in Newfoundland and Labrador include healthcare, financial services, fishing, mining, manufacturing, and oil production.
The majority of the population is spread in the provincial capital of St. John’s. It is one of the oldest cities in North America that brags a rich history. There are interesting architectural landscapes in the city, along with buildings that have a unique look from other cities of the country.
Get in touch with us on WhatsApp or Call us at 905-671-4442. You may even email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries about your PNP application.