Canada finally made the decision to extend its travel restrictions till January 21, 2020. Those who wish to enter Canada need to have an essential reason for the same.
Foreign tourists who wish to visit Canada for a non-discretionary and non-optional reason will find the borders closed for them. Border officials will ask travelers to return if they intend to visit Canada for reasons like entertainment, recreation, or tourism.
The Canadian government will push the date to stay at par with the travel restrictions that are imposed on US travelers. At present, travel restrictions for US travelers are said to end on December 21. There is a chance of an extension for this date.
Canada will also amend its order and come up with a framework for reviewing applications. These applications will be from high-performance amateur sports organizations that wish to hold International Single Sport Events.
In order to get proper considerations, applicants will have to include a written commitment of ongoing support. This needs to be from regional governments.
They also require a strong plan to protect the health of all the participants and the public health. The Canadian government will release further information on the web site of the Department of Canadian Heritage.
People Who Are Exempt from Travel Restrictions
Here is a list of people who are exempt from travel restrictions:
- Permanent residents or Canadian citizens including dual citizens
- Certain temporary foreign workers
- Some people who have the approval for Canadian permanent residence
- Protected persons
- Certain foreign students
- Immediate family members of Canadians
- People entering Canada for compassionate reasons
- Extended family members of Canadians
- Any person who falls under the list of exemptions on the government’s webpage
Initially, travel restrictions were from March 18 to June 30. This was in an effort to try and prevent the spread of the Covid-19 virus. Thereafter, they have been pushed on a monthly basis.
There was a relaxation of travel restrictions in October. This relaxation was for students and extended family members.
Who Can Enter Canada for Compassionate Reasons?
The federal government has made a list of people who may enter Canada for compassionate reasons. These include the following:
- To provide medical support to a person in need of it
- To be there during the final moments of the life of a family member or to provide care or support for someone who is seriously ill
- Attend a funeral or end of life ceremony
Compassionate travelers may fill up an application to get a limited release from the 14-day quarantine period. This needs to be done before entering Canada.
Those who are traveling to Alberta may also receive permission for an early release from quarantine.
Other Exemptions to the Compulsory 14-Day Quarantine Requirement
There are other exemptions to the compulsory 14-day quarantine requirements. These include the following:
- Those invited by the health minister to assist with the Covid-19 response and various other healthcare workers
- Crew members
- Members of visiting forces coming to start work
- Crossing the border in a trans-border community
- People entering Canada aboard a “vessel” for research work, as long as they remain on their vessel
- People arriving to get medical services within 36 hours of their arrival
- Other situations that are listed in the new Order in Council
Whatever be the case, Canadian border service officers will take the final decision as to who enters the country.
Canada has a different order that has limited cross-border travel between them and the US ever since March. There was an extension made of this order earlier this month.
Get in touch with us on WhatsApp or Call us at 905-671-4442. You may even email us at email@example.com if you have any queries about your immigration application.